Skip to main content

The Solar Eclipse


 The Solar Eclipse

Well, color me unimpressed. The recent solar eclipse had all the hype of a heavyweight title fight but ended up feeling more like a middleweight sparring match. As a guy who appreciates a good spectacle, I can't help but feel a tad disappointed by the lackluster performance of this celestial event. I mean, if I wanted to squint at a slightly dimmer sky, I could just wait for a cloudy day.


Let's talk about expectations versus reality, shall we? I was promised a once-in-a-lifetime cosmic showdown, but what I got was more like a cosmic shrug. Sure, the sun got a temporary dimming, but where was the dramatic showdown between the sun and the moon? Where were the fireworks, the special effects, the sense of awe-inspiring wonder? Instead, I was left feeling like I'd been sold a ticket to the wrong show.


And let's not even get started on having the proper eye wear to witness this so-called event. Eclipse glasses sold out faster than concert tickets to a reunion tour of my wife's favorite '90s boy band. Believe it or not, i ended up watching the eclipse by punching a hole in the bottom of a pie plate and holding it over the driveway.  


I actually skipped lunch and left work early to watch the eclipse at home with the wife and kids.  When I arrived home, I realized my brother-in-law and his family had crashed our viewing party.  He's an okay fellow, but he likes to show off.  He's always got to have the nicest car, the biggest house, the smartest kids....you know the type. 


 So, he shows up with 5 pairs of eclipse glasses and a ton of cameras and gear.   For two hours, I put up with his 3 screaming kids and my sister yelling over and over, "Don't look at that eclipse without your glasses.  If you go blind lloking at the sun, we ain't going to the campground this weekend."  I falied to mention, my brother-in-law has a big RV, too.  


In addition to being a first class pain-in-the neck, my brother-in-law also tried to convince me that he's also a professional photographer.  As he was vying for the perfect shot, he walked all over my wife's flower beds.  Anytime I would find a place off to myself, he come rushing over and would stand right next to me.  It was like trying to enjoy a blockbuster movie while sitting in the front row of a crowded theater with a broken seat.


So, forgive me if I'm not jumping for joy over the recent solar eclipse. Call me cynical, call me jaded, but I can't help feeling like I missed out on the cosmic event of the century. Here's hoping the next celestial show delivers on the hype—or at least comes with better popcorn

Popular posts from this blog

Saturday Cartoon 3-16-24

 

It's pronounced Or-ree!!!

  This first edition offers some insights into this weekly article and provides a brief history of Horry County.  Our readers can expect an array of subjects, topics, and stories, both current and past, that have opinion, fact, and some stories passed down over time with no collaboration aka Horry County lure.  No subject will be off-limits, and the goal is to be entertaining, informative, thought provoking, and simply a fun read.      Horry County: Pronounced (OR-ree), was occupied primarily by the Chicora Indian before English settlement in the early 1700’s. Not named Horry County until 1801, initial settlement was in 1732 by English settlers that made their way up the Waccamaw River from Georgetown to settle on a high bluff area overlooking the river where history claims the group of explores killed a bear eventually naming the area Kings Town in honor of the English King to later be named Conway.   Located in the easternmost region of the State, from settlement through the early 19

Rankin Out of Touch

  Luke Rankin is out of Touch with Voters Horry County Senator Luke Rankin put himself in a political box last week that he will find it difficult to get out of as reelection time rolls around. With reform of the process which elects judges in the state being a hot topic among the voters and other elected officials, Rankin chose last week to voice support, in an hour-long speech on the Senate floor last week, for the current process. As Chairman of the Senate Judiciary Committee and Vice Chairman of the Judicial Merit Selection Commission, Rankin has a lot of say in who becomes judges in South Carolina. He probably can’t be blamed for wanting to keep that power in his hands. However, 695,791 voters in the recent South Carolina Presidential Primary election answered a question included on the ballot of whether the current process of electing judges in the state should be reformed. Over 91 percent, 634,345 to be exact, said YES. When 9 out of every 10 voters disagree with the position of